Monday, March 11, 2013

Pulling The Trigger On Avoidance

True Believers! It is no secret that I prefer to confront things from any and every angle nowadays. The old me was big into avoiding situations that could threaten my bad relationship with food; I'd rather hide and binge than be among friends.

In October 2011, I had to move home and confront every demon I'd ever dodged. They rushed from all sides at once, encircled and thirsted for my blood. The stress I endured just before my lifestyle change could've went the other way; had that been the case your humble narrator would have been a dead man. You'll get more of these details I promise, I'm still not there yet.

Amid all the worries I had about moving home there was one lethal foe that I feared the most: The Junk Food "Counter of Doom". It has been discussed amongst close friends and you'll all see more of it when the video blogs roll out. You'll get to see a pic in a bit of the diminished version.

Stress and depression have contributed to my issues as you've read. The recent slip in progress was in part triggered by worrying about my aging Mum's fall and knee injury. Again I turned to food to calm the nerves and anxiety caused by seeing her immobilized and in pain.

Today was the first time since the fall that Mum was able to go in for groceries. She is fiercely independent and it's been tough for her to let others care for her; an apparently inheritable behavior she passed on to me.

Too proud and stubborn to use her walker in public, she opted for a cart instead. For two fractures and a pair of blood clots in the bad wheel she sure can move when it comes to filling the cart with candy, carbs, and bargains! Since I've moved out she can barely tolerate not stocking the COUNTER OF DOOM!

Today was a small victory; my morning started off with a great sweat at CrossFit Cleveland and followed with a nutritionally clean recovery breakfast. For the first time in three weeks I avoided that damn counter! The curse seems to be lifting! I even picked out a half dozen donuts for Mum to have with her morning coffee and didn't so much as lick my fingers.

Part of my intense sugar cravings stem from waiting too long to consume nutrition. It bears repeating that since I started I've not really been a meal planner. This is changing!

A perfect breakfast is a gimme; I'm all about the Ron Swanson statement "Give me all of the bacon and eggs you have." Monday nights are now a gimme due to recent Trivia Night and half price burgers at a favourite spot nearby. All I had to do is plan lunch and one day of sound nutrition is in the books! I'm starting to get it...finally?

Soon I'll update you all on my last BodPod composition but I just wanted to share the fact that Captain Confrontation made progress by utilizing avoidance. Psychologically this is a huge step for me and I hope you an glean some information of value from my rambling.

Congratulations to Dr. Ray Hinish and his new bride Sheri! Dr. Ray and his partner, Blythe Alberg, are amazing people who do great things to help people with their excess weight. Check them out on iTunes- Cut The Fat Podcast is a FANTASTIC free resource full of scientifically backed information in how to lose fat. Go listen (first five episodes in order first if you are new) and enjoy!

And now Team Cheeseburger Sheets has a trivia championship to defend. Until next time, keep moving ever forward one step beyond!

J.W.

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap is all I can say about that counter! I have a similar "counter of doom" in my office building. It sure makes things difficult!

    ReplyDelete