Wednesday, March 27, 2013

What's With the Name? and Bloggin' With The Devil

True Believers!  In a bold attempt to reign in my donut addiction I've taken to writing at least one of my weekly blogs from a donut shop! If I'm going to find my fire again I'm going to stare the demon straight in the eyes and refuse to indulge! Cheers to testing the will, so far no donuts were consumed during the creation of this blog entry. All blogs henceforth shall be written with the notation of A.D. which stands for after donuts.

 There are a plethora of blogs in this weight loss community. Many include words that are easily associated with terms we associate with fitness, fatness, and everything between. Some have even proven to be lucrative branding concepts that generate T-shirt sales and public appearances. Since the readership of this blog has increased lately I've been asked a few times about why I've chosen the name. Allow me to indulge you.

To say that I am a man-child would be accurate. One thing I continue to enjoy without shame, unlike donuts, is professional wrestling.Growing up in the golden era of wrestling brought so many fond memories for the childhood that was riddled with fat kid jokes that helped annihilate my self esteem. I imagined the ring to be the one place where I would reign supreme against all the skinny punks who laughed at my inability to wear pants that would cover my plumbers crack. Chuckle now, but when I hit my finishing move it will be curtains for you all!

 At one point I even entered the squared circle and "competed" for lack of a better word. I had a blast and even managed to win a couple of titles along the way. Size was the only thing I had working for me and all it did was work against me. I was outclassed by so many of the boys who trained extensively and felt it would be dishonorable to continue to take up a spot on a show roster just because I was a "500lb SPECTACLE!".

My Mum was concerned about my health due to the bruises of the business. Since my parents had recently moved out of state I spent many nights crashing with my best friends parents. My second Mom became worried after I could barely crawl out of bed to make it to the bathroom the day after a match. She had every right to worry; my lack of physical conditioning would have surely brought about an injury to either me or an opponent. I made a promise to her as she bravely battled Cancer that I'd quit that ole wrasslin' and I did. Eventually I returned as a commentator but my days in the ring are long gone even though I'd love to have one more match near my goal weight...

What isn't gone is my passion for the art of wrestling! Different locations around the world lend different twists to the sport. For instance, Mexico is known for a high flyingstyle known as Lucha libre. In Japan they are known for there hard hitting or "stiff" ring work known as Strong Style the first nod to my blog title. The "Hustle" part is attributed to the hard work involved with anything worth living for. It's also another wrasslin' business tip of the hat to a Mr. Paul Heyman and his blog page Heyman Hustle. Paul Heyman has cemented his name within a profession that he is extremely passionate about. Life is far too short to do anything else in my book and I hope that one day my hustle in this weight loss game can inspire more to change for the better. I should also note that just outside of Cleveland there is a mixed martial arts facility called Strong Style which I am not affiliated with. Perhaps one day I'll visit for a workout when I'm down around the 300 lb mark.

Pete Rose aka "Charlie Hustle" gets honorable mention because he played the game of baseball with intensity. We can agree to disagree on how you may feel about him personally but you can't take away what he brought when he played. He's also in the celebrity wing of the WWE Hall of Fame. No pun intended for his San Diego chicken costumed attack on Kane at Wrestlemania XV.

I've also been asked how I determine my posting days. The answer thus far is at random. In honor of Monday night being prime time for wrestling I'd like to announce that Monday will be a dedicated blog day here at Strong Style Hustle!

We know obviously that I have a love for redheads. That has little to do with this but I thought I'd mention in the event that any of you gorgeous gingers should be reading, single, and have an affinity towards men who look like Shrek. Now that we've gotten that out of the way let it be known that I also have a love for comic books! This could potentially be something that hinders the odds of attracting the elusive red-haired maiden that is the object of my Charlie Brown-esque unrequited petitions to the Universe.

 I'm a geek at heart and in deed so Wednesday will now be a regular blog day in honor of new issue day. Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel! This is all working of course towards better scheduling and focus in my effort to get healthy. Somewhere amidst these chaotic ramblings will emerge order...

Join me outside of this blog for nutrition tracking at MyFitnessPal.com http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profmarvel, the app is FREE! Let's help work towards accountablity together!

I'm also a Fitocrat so join me at Fitocracy, user name ProfMarvel, to track workouts and earn points. The app is FREE and RAD!

Until next time keep moving ever forward one step beyond!

JW
Day 3 A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment