Friday, March 22, 2013

The Fitness Bucket List

True Believers! Now that we've shared some gore about the injuries we stumble into on our path to fitness, I'd like to have some of your input. What are some things you have always wanted to do physically but can't due to a weight related condition?

During my recent BodPod test I expressed my dismay at my progress. My attitude was "people have done more with less." I was reminded by my brother-in-arms and videographer extraordinaire, Scott, that "more people have done less with more." I still struggle with breaking the unhealthy habit of comparing myself with others so a big THANK YOU to everyone in the testing room that gave me a pep talk.

As a goal oriented person I find myself adjusting and adding goals based upon progress. I had to adjust some drop goals based upon a lack of anticipated progress. If I've learned anything in this process it's that remaining open to change with a positive mental attitude (PMA) is paramount! Let's get into a PMA mindset and envision ourselves healthy, happy, and ready to decimate all obstacles in our path.

What I want you to do is play along. Let's envision ourselves in a healthier state. What would we do with our new bodies? Some time ago when I lost quite a bit of weight I marveled at my ability to finally do a somersault as an adult. It can be as small or grandiose as you want for this exercise. I'd like everyone to make a fitness bucket list! There is only ONE rule- we cannot include a goal body weight. Many of us have one in mind but this should be about a non-scale accomplishment as I'm currently fighting with my scale. And the sugar pushers that line every corner.

Here are my top 10 fitness bucket list goals!

1. Climb Mt. Fuji and see the sun rise. Look at this magnificent sight!

2. Complete a sprint triathlon before I'm 40. Only 2.5 years to get this one done!!!

3. Sky dive. Yes, I want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

4. Have a personal training session with Lou Ferrigno

5. Meet Jesse Stilwell, the man who helped inspire my quest.

6. Complete a Warrior Dash- signed up for August 11, 2013. This could get ugly! I'm also running for St. Jude's so by all means SPONSOR ME!

7. Be a guest on a Cut The Fat Podcast. This is my all-time favorite fat loss podcast. They have given me and countless others a wealth of information based in hard science. Others sell snake oil but Dr. Ray Hinish and Blythe Alberg help teach you how to shed your skin.

8. Rx as many WODs as possible. One would be nice...one time...

9. Complete a book chronicling my struggles and successes. "A Million Little Pieces...of Cake" could be a good title. Don't steal that.

10. Look good enough to impress that elusive little red-haired girl.

I have a feeling that 10 will be the most challenging. As I progress so will the list, I'll keep you all informed as I meet these goals and add to it! So there is my list, given the chance what would you like to accomplish? If the chance isn't given, what are you willing to do to make it happen? Enter your list in the comments!

Until next time keep moving ever forward one step beyond!

JW



1 comment:

  1. I like this challenge. Being obese my whole life I never imagined myself as a runner or anyone who could really accomplish anything physically.

    Although this isn't directly related I recently snuck on a 250lb weight limit water slide (I'm 265). I felt like a kid should have. Being unfit holds us back from life in ways we as defeated individuals never had the power to imagine.

    ReplyDelete