Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Reality Really Bites: Part 1- The Great Chicago Fire

Fitness, specifically weight loss, is a multi-billion dollar industry. When you combine this with the craze of "reality" television it's a goldmine. ABC's Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition and NBC's The Biggest Loser have undoubtedly been a sensation that has motivated countless individuals into healthier lifestyle changes...for a few weeks.

How much "reality" are we really getting with these types of show? In a two-part blog I'm going to share my audition and casting experience for both Biggest Loser and Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition right here!

After my decision to get healthy I stumbled across the ad for the casting of ABC's Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition. I was already on my way to losing weight so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get it done quicker. Having seen both show and being in the infancy stages of my little science experiment of transformation I believed this would be a great way to go about things. Did I mention that my expectations of winning things against overwhelming odds are ridiculously high? I mean after all I still get mad when I lose the lottery.

Having the attitude of VICTORY WILL BE MINE!, I decided to rent a better car, book a hotel, and drive to the closest casting call in Chicago. Before I departed I had my Mum take a shirtless picture of me to give the casting director. I had the dumbest smile on my face despite the abhorred shape I knew I was (and still am) in. Man boobs and all, I was headed to Chi-town to decimate!

After picking up the rental, which was more reliable than my car, I met up with a friend for a healthy lunch ad drove off into the sunset. With the sunset came what was probably the biggest snow storm of the relatively mild winter! White knuckle and bleary eyed I arrived at the Double Tree some seven plus hours later only to be handed a warm cookie. Oh the irony! Here I am hoping to be cast for a weight loss show smashing this delicious and warm chocolate chip cookie. And let me tell you IT WAS GOOO-OOOD!When I got into the room I confess that I did order a true Chicago deep dish pie. It was a small and I only ate half, I swear!

The next morning I awoke early, stretched out, and tried to relax a bit. I'm no stranger to auditioning and the stage so that definitely helped. I headed a few blocks away to the Dave and Busters where the casting was taking place. I must have circled the block at least five times trying to spot the enormous line I anticipated freezing in. No line, no sign, and no idea what was going on. After finding a meter a few blocks away I decided to walk over to D&B. To my surprise THE DOOR WAS LOCKED! I was livid; after all the cash I spent on what was the odds equivalent of buying scratch off tickets I was ready to SMASH.

A few loud knocks on the door woke the security guard up; he let me in and led me to the cattle corral. Most of the people had moved into the secondary holding. Groups of 8-10 were led into a room and seated at banquet tables arranged in a horse shoe. We were allowed to watch from the rear of the room as they were shown a brief video and introduced to the casting directors.Each person was given under a minute to quickly introduce themselves and give a bit of background on their battle along with why they wanted to be on the show.

With all due respect I saw a lot of defeated souls that day. The tone of voice, posture, and look in the eyes of many of the people I saw was hollow. We all had the same problem but many of them were just mentally defeated. How could they show up for Hollywood with this attitude? My confidence overcame my empathy. This was a competition and I hate to lose, remember?

 When it came time for me to be seated I ended up being chair one so I spoke first. My introduction was fiery and impassioned. I shared my success at the time of nearly 50 lbs lost and wished everyone well on their journey. I closed with reminding them that the show was not a panacea for their problems and that they were brave enough to take a step by showing up and to keep going even if they weren't cast. Too many presented the notion that this show was their only hope. If they could only see that the power to change was within them and them only!

When I handed the casting director, Ian Young, my bio and photo I noticed his eyebrows raise as he read my starting measured weight of 536 lbs. Again, I use starting because it was over 550 lbs at one point. It may have been as high as 611 lbs if the truck stop scale was accurate but I tried to black that out. Since many of us had traveled some distance we were all informed that they would have call backs done by 6 pm that evening in hopes of accommodating anyone from afar. The decision would be posted on their Twitter account as to when their decisions were made. Still confident but not wanting to waste gas having to turn around and drive half way back I opted to wait in Chicago for a few hours. And then it happened.

After staring at my phone off and on for a few hours I saw the tweet. Everyone was thanked and informed that  call backs were done. That's it? HOW COULD YOU NOT PICK ME? After all, I'm the chosen one. Whatever...eff it...this ain't going to stop this train. My championship loss in Chicago only added fuel to the fire that was growing inside. In suspended disbelief I headed back to the Chicago Skyway Toll Bridge and picked up I-90; eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin', I was going to do what they said can't be done.

To be continued on March 18th...


No comments:

Post a Comment